This photo of the championship-winning football team of the 12th Halifax company of the Boys’ Brigade was sent in by Denis Gill (pictured, front, left) of Wadsworth Court, Pellon Lane, Halifax.
His team were double winners in 1943-4, having lifted both the Halifax Boys’ Brigade League Shield and the knockout trophy in the same season. The lads were aged between 14 and 17 and five of them were good enough to be selected for the Halifax Battalion team at various times.
The 12th Halifax was based at Fairfield Methodist Church, Queen’s Road, Halifax, now the Ukrainian Church of Holy Protection, Halifax. The company later relocated to Park Congregational and still exists, now at New Hope United Reformed Church, Highroad Well, Halifax, and will be celebrating its centenary in 2013.
Pictured at the back, from the left, are Vernie Speak, Trevor Rawson, Geoff Lee, Leonard Webster, Maurice Dixon, Alan Rodgers and Norman Pidgeon. In the middle are Donald Smith, John Briers, Harold Wright, Trevor Speak, Les Brown. In front, with Dennis Gill, is Alan Hawe.