Philip and Nicky Thompson are justifiably proud of the redevelopment of a derelict farmhouse they have project managed off the beaten track in Southowram.
Quite apart from the magnificent outcome of three years work, they have played their part in preserving a valuable piece of history in the hilltop community near Halifax.
The Granary, as it is now called - part of the building had at one time been used for storing hay - was originally built around 1800, possibly earlier, and was used as a farmhouse and carding shed (a process of preparing wool for weaving) until its owner William Barber, who was born in 1768, and his family built a new property and a purpose built mill nearby around 1849.
The property is a two storey cottage with traditional external stone steps to the upper floor which Mr Thompson believes is where the wool was gathered and prepared. Following the Barbers’ move it was, for approaching two centuries used as farm buildings housing cattle, pigs, horses, crops and silage. A far cry from how it looks now.
The restoration is quite remarkable. The two main bedrooms are en-suite while the third and fourth share a large house bathroom. Downstairs is a living room, large open plan dining room, kitchen, utility and wc.
While the building is free of listed status Mr Thompson was keen to maintain as many original features and keep the spirit of the building in tact. The first floor retains a number of Queen trusses. The beams above the high central atrium can be viewed from the ground floor dining hall above the galleried staircase. A wonderful focal point. It also comes with a self contained one-bedroom house which could fetch around £6,000 rent annually.
The Granary is for sale with Bridgfords, Halifax for £469,000.
Hundreds of homes for sale in your Courier - out every Friday