Army shutting Halifax recruiting office

Private Craig Fletcher and staff sgt Mark O'Fee at the Army Carrers Centre on Northgate, Halifax, which is closing down.
Private Craig Fletcher and staff sgt Mark O'Fee at the Army Carrers Centre on Northgate, Halifax, which is closing down.

The Army Careers Information Office at Northgate, Halifax, will close later this month.

Service chiefs say the recruitment frontline has been moved to meet the demands of smart phone and electronic tablet users.

In recent times there has been an increasing number of inquiries via computer and mobile phone and a decision was taken to reduce the Army presence on the high street.

Commenting on the closure, Commander Regional Recruiting, Lieutenant Colonel Howard Newson said: “Army recruiting teams have been examining the way recruiting is done to make sure it is more efficient and effective.

“Although some offices on the high street are closing, we are stepping up our online presence to meet the demands of young recruits who are increasingly likely to use their smart phone or tablet device to contact us.

“The Army is still recruiting in Halifax and there are jobs available now.

“I’d encourage anyone interested in knowing more to visit our website or our careers offices in Bradford or Leeds which will remain open.”

Staff based at Halifax will transfer to Leeds when the office shuts on December 21.

In the future there will be three offices in Leeds and two in Bradford covering West Yorkshire.

The Huddersfield office has already closed and the Wakefield office is due to close in March.

The Army has career opportunities available in a variety of roles.

These cover combat, healthcare, engineering, IT, communications, music and administration.

It is currently recruiting for both Regular and Territorial Army vacancies.

For more information potential recruits should visit


The day the IRA targeted Halifax:

The Halifax Army Careers Office hit the national headlines in February 1990 when an IRA bomb caused severe damage to the office which was then based at New Road. The explosion at 11.10 pm on February 26 blew out a door and window and could be heard more than half-a-mile away. Debris was flung up to 100 yards away but, fortunately, nobody was injured. Police forces were already on alert because five days previously there had been an IRA attack on an Army van in Leicester. Security experts believe the attack could have been carried out by a “hit and run” squad nicknamed the day-trip bombers who flee a scene long before devices are detonated. Three days after the attack the Army was up and running again in a mobile unit. In May, 1990, the IRA finally claimed responsibility for the Halifax bombing saying the bomb contained 5lbs of high explosives and the intention was to inflict casualties on Army personnel - but, it said gale force winds had set off the bomb before the intended detonated time. The following months saw bomb attacks at army careers office in Cheltenham and Derby.