DCSIMG

Another Halifax cat loses a life

Holly Kendall with her son Jacob, aged two, whose black and white cat Magin was poisoned.

Holly Kendall with her son Jacob, aged two, whose black and white cat Magin was poisoned.

Another cat has lost its life in the latest in a recent spate of Mixenden poisonings.

8-month-old black and white Magin was the pet kitten of the Kendall’s, who live on Ashtree Road. On Monday evening, mother-of-two, Holly Kendall, said her kitten returned home showing classic signs of poisoning.

“Magin’s back end had collapsed and he was struggling to breath,” said Holly.

The 31-year-old later took the kitten to West Mount Vets, Pellon, where he was later put down due to kidney failure.

This is not the first time catastrophe has struck for Holly who has now lost four kittens, one of which was pregnant, due to anti-freeze poisoning, since December.

In the Mixenden area there has been a recent spate of poisonings - nine cats from Sunnybank Road have recently died due to anti-freeze poisoning. It is not known if poisonings are accidental or deliberate but there is a strong feeling from owners that the recent rise in cat deaths due to poisoning, is deliberate.

“This has been going on in Mixenden for a long time- it needs to stop and those responsible need punishing,” said Holly.

One pregnant kitten is left, residing at the Kendall home, and Holly says she is terrified to let her out of the door. Holly said her five-year-old daughter Maddison was devastated when she discovered Magin wasn’t coming home.

West Mount Vet nurse Daniel Sutcliffe warned owners to seek veterinary attention immediately if they suspect cat poisoning.

Halifax RSPCA Inspectors have issued a warning to Mixenden residents after a spate of poisonings have resulted in ten cats having to be put down.

Inspector Leigh-Anne Jones said: “We are urging cat owners in Mixenden to pay extra attention to their cats at this time.”

She said the classic signs of poisoning are vomiting, excessive sleepiness, fits, seizures, increased thirst and urination and difficulty in breathing.

Signs can show from thirty minutes after poisoning to a few days later when a cat’s kidneys begin to fail. “The sooner a cat receives treatment, the better its chances of survival,” said Ms Jones. Anyone with information contact RSPCA on 0300 1234 999.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page