DCSIMG

Warning after chimney blaze

editorial image

editorial image

Firefighters are warning householders with wood and coal burning fires to check that their chimneys are clean.

Today (Sun) Halifax firefighters were called to a chimney blaze at Hubberton, Sowerby, which was caused by a wood burning fire.

They spent three hours at the scene after being called at 2.20 am.

Damage was confined to the chimney breast.

Crew Commander Dave Berry said such fires were a problem at this time of year and increasingly so due to fuel prices.

“A lot of people are switching away from electric and gas - but they are not getting their chimneys swept beforehand,” he said.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page