Chip pan sparks flat fire in Halifax

FIRE crews were called to a flat fire in Boothtown, Halifax, in the early hours of today.

The blaze at Brunel Court, reported at 12.18am, was sparked when a man took a chip pan off the stove and dropped it on the floor.

Eight people had to be evacuated from nearby flats.

The man was treated for smoke inhalation and taken to hospital for checks.

The fire teams from Illingworth and Halifax said there was extensive damage to the flat and stairwell.

They urged people to take care when using chip pans.