Cooker fires on the rise

editorial image
0
Have your say

A fire station commander has warned people to take extra care when cooking after a series of kitchen fires.

Brighouse Fire station commander Andy Crowther said several fires had been caused because of a lapse in concentration.

“Thankfully none of these incidents have caused injury, but a moment’s lapse of concentration is all that is needed for fire to break out,” he said.

He advises people never to leave a pan or grill unattended on the stove and to turn it off if you leave the room.

“Electric rings can still heat pans for a short time after switching off and never put anything combustible on a cooker,” he said.

“Several fires have started by towels been left on cookers.”

For free home fire safety advice and safety check contact Brighouse fire station on 01484 714992.