Cooking fires accounted for almost half of home call-outs last month

editorial image
0
Have your say

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (WYFRS) has carried out a review of all accidental dwelling fires which have occurred in August 2014.

In total there has been 91 accidental dwelling fires across the brigade area during August - 42 of which were caused by cooking.

By district, these can be broken down as Leeds (14), Bradford (10), Calderdale (4), Kirklees (8) and Wakefield (6).

Further analysis into these types of fires highlighted that a third of cooking fires were caused by items that caught fire having been too close to a hob that had been left on or accidentally turned on.

Fire Investigator Lee Miller said: “As a result of these cooking related fires seven people have been injured. A reoccurring cause, attributed in 14 of the cases, was combustible items placed too close to an energised hob.

“This was anything from wooden chopping boards to plastic trays. Occupants were then distracted and the unattended item has caught fire.

“In light of these figures, we would like to stress the importance of remaining vigilant in the kitchen and never leaving pans unattended on the heat.”