THE heartbreaking deaths of two babies has led to stark warnings from a coroner desperate to prevent further tragedies.
Roger Whittaker has highlighted the dangers of co-sleeping with babies and falling asleep while breastfeeding after overseeing two inquests into the deaths of children under one.
McKenzie Gray was only a month old when he died in his parents’ bed at their home in Mixenden, Halifax, in November last year.
His father, Samson Gray, discovered his lifeless son when he woke up. An ambulance was called, but the little boy could not be resuscitated.
The inquest heard that asphyxia was the most probable cause of McKenzie’s death.
Recording a verdict of accidental death, Mr Whittaker said he would be writing to the Nursing and Midwifery Council and the General Nursing Council to highlight the importance of educating parents on the dangers of co-sleeping.
The coroner also said he would write to the nursing council about the dangers of mothers falling asleep while breast feeding after the death of five-month-old Layla Standeven.
She was being breast fed along with her twin sister Lydia at their home in Shelf when her mother fell asleep.
Her father, who had been asleep in another room, discovered her when he went to try to lift her from her mother’s knee.
The inquest heard that asphyxia was the most likely cause of death and Mr Whittaker recorded a verdict of accidental death.