Accused to stand trial over Greetland pensioner robbery

News from the courts.
News from the courts.

A 41-year-old Leeds man is expected to stand trial later this year following a shocking attack on Halifax pensioner who was “left for dead” on his doorstep.

Last November the Halifax Courier published a graphic photograph of the 89-year-old man’s battered and bloodied face after he was robbed of a small holdall outside his home on Rochdale Road, Greetland.

The victim, who was not named, told the paper how he had been subjected to a totally unnecessary attack that evening.

“He could have pinched my bag and run off,” he told the Courier.

“He left me for dead at the top of my own driveway. There was absolutely no reason for it.”

Today (Friday) Slovakian Viktor Lakatos, of Seaforth Grove, Harehills, appeared before a judge at Bradford Crown Court via a video link to HMP Leeds where he is currently remanded in custody.

Lakatos, who was assisted during the hearing by a Slovakian interpreter, has been charged with robbing the pensioner on November 21 last year.

Although the charge was not put to the defendant during a short preliminary hearing his barrister Kate Batty confirmed that the complainant would not be required by the defence to give evidence at any trial.

She told Judge Jonathan Rose that it was not accepted that Lakatos was the robber, but it was not disputed that a robbery had taken place.

Judge Rose also indicated that the complainant would not be required to give evidence during what is expected to be a two-day trial.

The judge confirmed that Lakatos’ plea and case management hearing would take place on September 9 and he told the defendant that his trial would be listed to start on November 3.