Boy, 13, in court charged with raping a six-year-old boy in a Rastrick

.
.
0
Have your say

A teenager has made his first appearance before a crown court judge accused of raping a six-year-old boy in Rastrick earlier this year.

The 13-year-old youngster, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, arrived late with his mother at Bradford Crown Court this morning (Wednesday) for a preliminary hearing before Judge Peter Benson.

The boy, who spoke only to confirm his name, was allowed to sit alongside his mother at the back of court rather than go into the secure dock area and the judge and prosecuting barrister both removed their wigs during the 10-minute hearing.

The teenager has been charged with two allegations of rape relating to an incident in Rastrick on January 12.

The ages of the defendant and the complainant, who also cannot be identified, means the case should be heard as soon as possible and prosecutor David McGonigal outlined a shortened timetable for serving papers and organising the case for a three-day trial.

The boy, who is on bail with a condition that he does not contact the complainant, was told by Judge Benson that he would have to return to Bradford Crown Court on August 23 for a plea and case management hearing.

A trial date has been fixed before Judge Benson for September 2.

The judge granted so-called ‘’special measures’’ which mean that the complainant’s video interview with police will be played to the court during the trial and he would then be cross-examined over a live television link to the courtroom.

Judge Benson told the defendant’s mum to make sure they were at court on time for the next hearing in August.