The family of murdered soldier Lee Rigby has appealed for calm and said he would not have wanted people to use his name as an excuse to attack others.
Drummer Rigby’s family, including his widow Rebecca, who is from Halifax, said the 25-year-old’s death had a devastating effect on them but they were amazed by the worldwide support they had received.
His family, including mother and stepfather Lyn and Ian and son Jack, said: “We would like to emphasise that Lee would not want people to use his name as an excuse to carry out attacks against others.”
The tribute, which expressed thanks for the “overwhelming” support they had received, came as the English Defence League said it would be holding “silent walks for Lee Rigby” in which they would lay flowers at war memorials across the country, including in Leeds, Sheffield, Halifax, Scarborough, Doncaster, Rotherham and Huddersfield.
Meanwhile murder suspect Michael Adebolajo is spending a second day in custody at a London police station after being discharged from hospital.
Mr Adebolajo, 28, will be questioned over the killing of Lee Rigby near Woolwich Barracks on May 22.
He is also being held on suspicion of attempting to murder a police officer.
Another man, Michael Adebowale, 22, has been charged with the soldier’s murder and appeared before magistrates on Thursday.
The two were shot by police and arrested at the scene of the killing.
Mr Adebowale, of Greenwich, south-east London, and Mr Adebolajo, originally from Romford, east London, were both held under police guard in hospital following the arrest.
Mr Adebowale was discharged from hospital earlier this week. He is due to appear in court again on Monday.
A 42-year-old man and a 46-year-old man arrested on suspicion of involvement in the supply of illegal firearms have been bailed to return to a south London police station later this month pending further enquiries.