Victim of Halifax town centre stabbing fears he could have been killed

Stab victim Brett Missin.
Stab victim Brett Missin.

The victim of a violent stabbing in Halifax town centre fears he could have been killed.

Dad-of-two Brett Missin was attacked in Twighlight, on Waterhouse Street, and then again when the culprits followed him out of the bar along Crossley Street and into Princess Street where he was knifed in the abdomen.

“It’s frightened me to death,” he said.

“I’ve been going out since I was 17 and you used to hear about fisticuffs but nowadays it’s knives and you don’t have a prayer.

“It’s certainly put me off going out. It frightens me to think that my sons’ mum could have been having to tell them that their dad didn’t make it.”

The 29-year-old, who lives just outside Shelf and plays for Sunday-side team Buttershaw White Star, had been on his football team’s Christmas night out when the attack happened.

He and his friends had been to The Acapulco before moving on to Twighlight where Brett says he was confronted by a group of three men on the dance floor.

“The next thing I remember is being hauled out by the bouncer with blood and skin and my ear hanging off,” he said.

Brett says he is still trying to piece together what happened but says his friend who was with him has told him that he was hit in the neck and the ear with a broken bottle in the club.

He says the men then followed him and his friend outside and there was a scuffle. “I remember a good body shot. They had put a knife into my side.

“At the time I didn’t know what was happening. I didn’t know I’d been stabbed until someone saw the blood and told me.”

Brett was treated in hospital for wounds to his neck, ear and abdomen.

He said there were several people out in the town centre who tried to help him and he would like to thank them, along with the police and paramedics.

He is urging anyone who can help police catch the culprits to get in touch.

“My sons are six and nine. When they get to the age when they want to go out I’ll have to say ‘have you got your stab vest on son?’ I don’t know if I’ll even let them go out.”

Detectives are appealing for anyone who can help with their investigation into the attack, which happened at around 4am on Sunday, to get in touch.

Detective Inspector John Priestley, from Calderdale CID, said: “We are not prepared to tolerate this type of behaviour in our town.

“I am therefore calling on anyone who may have seen those involved in the incident during the early hours. People may have been leaving nightclubs or takeaways at the time and remember seeing this incident happen.

“The suspect is described as being of eastern european origin.

“If you have any information which could assist us in our inquiries, I would ask you call the non-emergency number 101 or Crimestoppers in confidence on 0800 555111.”