Explosion at house in Exley

editorial image

A mother and her baby had a lucky escape after a wood burning stove exploded at their house.

They were out of the house at the time of the explosion yesterday afternoon (Wed).

The stove as propelled across the room and brought down half the chimney breast at the house on Chevinedge Crescent, Exley.

Two crews attended the incident at around 1.30pm.

Watch Commander Mick Pollard said: “They were very lucky not to have been home at the time, they would have been at risk of serious injury or death. It was a ferocious blast.

“The stove weighed about 60 pounds and has caused severe damage to most of the first floor.”

The circumstances are still being investigated.