Calderdale Council has been successful in a Crown Court case against a takeaway which was putting people’s health at risk.
When officers from Calderdale Council’s Environmental Health team visited Ali Baba Kebab House, Rochdale Road, Todmorden, in March 2012, they discovered 27 offences relating to food safety and hygiene, including a dirty floor and equipment, hazardous storage of food and evidence of smoking in the kitchen.
The Council took enforcement action after giving numerous warnings and directions to the business with little effect.
After hearing evidence from Calderdale Council, Bradford Crown Court yesterday (Tuesday 8 January 2013) fined the takeaway owner, Mr Siddique, £3,000 and £1,000 costs, with a £25 victim impact surcharge. The manager, Mr Iqbal, was fined £1,500 and £500 costs, with a £25 victim impact surcharge.
Calderdale Council’s Head of Housing, Environment and Renewal, Mark Thompson, said: “The problems discovered by our officers at this takeaway were serious breaches of legislation, including general cleanliness, temperature abuses and poor storage practices that could have led to a food poisoning outbreak.
“The Council prosecuted the business when it became clear that its advice and guidance had been disregarded.
“The Council takes breaches of hygiene standards very seriously and will not hesitate to take action if we find any areas of concern.”
The Council’s latest inspection of Ali Baba Kebab House confirmed that the premises have now improved and will hopefully remain legally compliant in the future. The Council will continue to monitor the situation.