Firefighters in West Yorkshire urge people to have a safe Christmas

Halifax Fire Station, King Cross, Halifax
Halifax Fire Station, King Cross, Halifax
0
Have your say

Firefighters in West Yorkshire are appealing for people to celebrate safely this Christmas.

Last year, firefighters attended 28 alcohol-related fires in the home during December and January, and 105 fires caused by cooking.

According to new figures released by the Department of Communities and Local Government, the rate of serious injuries is four times higher when drug or alcohol impairment is a contributory factor.

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service say there are several other hazards during the festive period, such as an increased use of candles and fairy lights.

Ian Bitcon, from the fire and rescue service, said: “We want everyone to have a fantastic Christmas, which is why we don’t want it to be ruined by fire.

“We always see an increase in the number of cooking-related fires and fires where alcohol or drugs are a contributory factor.

“Please don’t assume it won’t happen to you.

“If you have family and friends staying over during the festive period, please ensure everyone knows their escape route.

“Finally, the best gift you could give your family this Christmas is the gift of life – make sure your smoke alarms work! Remember, you are more than four times more likely to die in a fire if you don’t have a working smoke alarm.”

People are being urged to fit a smoke alarm on each level of their home, test them weekly and never remove their batteries.

Candles should be secured in a proper holder and away from materials that may catch fire, such as curtains. They must be put out completely when leavign a room or going to bed.

When cooking, the fire and rescue service warn not to leave cookign unattended or children alone in the kitchen. They also urge people not to cook after drinking and to take care of loose clothing which can easily catch fire.

Christmas lightsshould conform to British standards or the European EC mark, be fitted with an approved plug with a three amp fuse or a mains transformer and not be touchign anything which can burn easily. Outdoor lights should be weatherproof.