Firefighters rescue man from smoke logged property after a pan boils over

editorial image

Firefighters rescued an elderly man from his smoke logged house last night (Sunday) after he fell and was unable to take a pan off the boil.

Crews from Todmorden were called to sheltered accomodation at Cambridge Place at around 8.05pm.

The man, thought to be in his late 70s, had put a pan on to boil but then suffered a fall and was unable to reach the pan to turn it off.

As the smoke from the pan got worse and worse, the man managed to crawl to raise the alarm.

Firefighters and paramedics managed to pull the man from the property and he was treated for mild smoke inhalation at the scene.

A West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue spokesperson said he was taken to hospital as a precaution.

Crews used a one hose reel, two breathing apparatus and a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke.