Gate return is welcomed at the Piece Hall

Piece Hall gates, re-hung at the South entrance.
Piece Hall gates, re-hung at the South entrance.

A piece of history came back home this week as the Piece Hall’s magnificent south entrance gates were re-installed.

Made in 1871 by George Smith & Co, Glasgow, the wrought iron gates had been removed for conservation work to repair and restore them to their original beauty.

The work was carried out by Chris Topp Wrought Ironworks, in North Yorkshire, and has been funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund under its Townscape Heritage Initiative (THI).

The restoration of the gates is seen as the first step towards the facelift of the Piece Hall as part of the council’s £19 million redevelopment scheme.