Halifax flat fire caused by dropped cigarette

Scene of fatal house fire in Savile Road, Halifax.
Scene of fatal house fire in Savile Road, Halifax.

A flat fire in Halifax was caused by a dropped cigarette, investigators have found.

Emergency services were called to the scene, on Savile Road, on the morning of Friday, May 5.

Two men were rescued from the property by firefighters and were given first aid by paramedics, but one of the men, in his 50s, died.

Whilst the cause of death is yet to be established, the cause of the fire has been found to be a dropped cigarette on bedding.

Area Manager for Fire Safety Chris Kirby said: “Our condolences are extended to the friends and family of this individual.

“Whilst the circumstances surrounding his death are still being established, the Fire Service is able to confirm that the fire in the premises was started by smoking materials.

“Smoking materials are sadly a frequent cause of very serious fires so we would like to take this opportunity to remind the public of the general safety advice we offer as part of our fire prevention work.

”This advice is applicable to all smokers.”

“Smoking materials are sadly a frequent cause of very serious fires so we would like to take this opportunity to remind the public of the general safety advice we offer as part of our fire prevention work.

”This advice is applicable to all smokers.”

- Never smoke in bed. Take care when you’re tired – it’s very easy to fall asleep while your

cigarette is still burning and set furniture alight

- Never smoke indoors when under the influence of drugs or alcohol. If your lit cigarette starts a

fire you could be less able to escape.

- Put it out, right out! Make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished.

- Fit a smoke alarm and test it weekly. A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get

out, stay out and call 999.

- Never leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended – they can easily overbalance as they

burn down.

- Use a proper, heavy ashtray that can’t tip over easily and is made of a material that won’t burn.