A quick thinking Halloween hero dressed as Frankenstein has been praised after he tackled a house blaze caused by a pumpkin lantern.
The man and his girlfriend were walking past a house in Cragg Vale last night when they spotted the fire through the window.
The man, dressed in full costume, quickly made his way into the property to fight the fire.
Two teenagers were in the property at the time and were unaware of what was happening.
Crew commander Tom Marr, of Mytholmroyd Fire Station, said: “A pumpkin with a candle in it had ignited and the fire and had spread up the window frame.
“The man forced entry into the house, alerted the occupants and managed to put the fire out by beating it.
“The teenage lads were not aware of the fire, when we arrived they were out of the property, but the house was full of smoke and the man was suffering from smoke inhalation.
“We treated him at the scene and then an ambulance checked him over. He and his girlfriend are a credit to the community.
“It was brave of him to be so quick thinking and his girlfriend reassured the lads and phoned the owners of the house.
“He prevented what could have been a very serious house fire, the house was full of smoke and the occupants were quite a way from the fire so would not have been aware of it.”
He urged people to not leave candles or any flame unattended and use alternatives if possible.