Warning of inedible glitter on cakes

0
Have your say

Consumer bosses have warned of inedible glitter being used on cakes in West Yorkshire.

A survey by West Yorkshire Trading Standards Service found some cakes decorated with plastic or metal glitter.

Many of those used were found to be polyester plastic, the type used to make drinks bottles, and finely powdered brass.

The service said many cake decorations are plastic varieties confusingly marked as ‘non-toxic’, which does not mean that they can be eaten.

Coun Jayne Booth (Lab, Todmorden), deputy chairwoman of the Trading Standards Committee, said: “Businesses selling inedible cake glitter as safe to eat are taking a risk with people’s health.

“There are plenty of safe ways to decorate cakes without resorting to ground up plastic or powdered brass.”