House damaged in hamster cage fire

editorial image
0
Have your say

A faulty heat lamp in a hamster cage caused a blaze at Upper Hall View, Northowram, today.

Odsal firefighters were called out at 5.45 am.

Watch Commander Matthew Goodall said sawdust caught fire which spread to the unit’s wooden frame and damaged the worktop in the property’s kitchen utility room.

Several rooms suffered smoke damage and the occupants escaped the house before firefighters arrived.

Fortunately, the cage had been emptied yesterday.

“It was an unusual job. I have not been to a healt lamp fire before,” said Watch Commander Goodall.