Local Liverpool fan speaks on Hillsborough disaster

0
Have your say

A local Hillsborough survivor has voiced his support for those responsible for Britain’s worst ever football tragedy to be brought to justice.

Hillsborough eye-witness David Leedham, 59, of Southowram, has spoke out after a recent TV documentary highlighted police failings of crowd control during a football match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest at Sheffield Wednesday’s stadium on April 15, 1989, where 96 Liverpool fans died.

Liverpool fan, David Leedham, who was at in the crowd at the Hillsborough disaster.

Liverpool fan, David Leedham, who was at in the crowd at the Hillsborough disaster.

Liverpool fan Mr Leedham who travelled to Sheffield on what he describes as a “beautiful day” spoke of his anguish over unforgettable memories.

“I watched the documentary and it brought home the harrowing memories of that day; that have lived with me ever since.

“Everyone at the ground that day knew the truth. I respect the victims families for the battle they’ve fought - they’ve proved the working man has a voice.

“Those responsible must face consequences for their fatal actions. They ought to be stripped of their titles and pensions and face criminal prosecution - justice.”

The BBC Panorma special Hillsborough: How They Buried the Truth aired last week, showed previously unseen footage that pieced together evidence that has questioned the original coroner’s verdict of “accidental death” which was over-ruled by the High Court in December 2012 as a result of the Hillsborough Panel’s report which said that 41 of those that died might have been saved.

An off-duty police officer has always maintained he tried to treat Kevin Williams, a dying boy, after the 15:15 cut-off time; when the coroner ruled those that died that day had been beyond saving. At 15:28 Kevin was pulled out of the middle pen gate. PC Bruder was photographed knelt; trying to resuscitate Kevin.

In an interview before she died last month, Kevin’s mother Ann recalled a conversation with PC Bruder: “He said ‘If finding a pulse with the first two fingers...if that means he was alive, then he was alive.”

A new inquest into the deaths of the 96 victims is expected in the north west of England early 2014.