Man slapped with fine after cockroaches were found in a Ripponden takeaway

Saffron, Oldham Road, Ripponden.
Saffron, Oldham Road, Ripponden.
2
Have your say

A man has been slapped with a fine after the takeaway he worked at was found in a filthy condition and riddled with cockroaches.

The discoveries were made by health officers in visits to Saffron takewaway at Oldham Road, Ripponden.

Grim sights in the kitchen

Grim sights in the kitchen

They uncovered a catalogue of dangerous filth, including dirty fittings and equipment used to make food, slug trails on the lobby carpet, a mouldy hand basin, as well as dirty freezer door seals, steps and filthy urinal.

Officials also found salami kept at a higher temperature than it should have been, plus cockroaches in the kitchen and by the donner meat rotisserie and no documented food management system or records.

The details were put to Calderdale Magistrates’ Court when Jamal Abdul Nasir, 34, of Denison Street, Batley, admitted 12 counts of failing to comply with hygiene rules.

Prosecuting on behalf of Calderdale Council, Claire Farrimond said officers visited Saffron on January 16, 2014 for a routine inspection.

Grim sights at the takeaway

Grim sights at the takeaway

On this inspection, the takeaway was given a one star rating and officers visited the next day to assess whether necessary improvements had been made to achieve compliance.

On this visit, Ms Farrimond said the officer in attendance was led to believe Mr Nasir was a member of staff and a schedule of required works was sent.

A later visit on March 6 revealed no action had been taken and the takeaway was still in a filthy condition.

Later visits on April 23 and 24 were carried out to assess if the takeaway’s condition had improved and to determine who the food business operator was.

Grim sights at the takeaway

Grim sights at the takeaway

During this visit, Mr Nasir revealed he was the operator and was told he was required to comply with regulations and must fill out all information correctly.

It was on May 22, when the catalogue of food hygiene offences was uncovered.

An emergency hygiene order was granted on May 28, but three days later a certificate was issued outlining there was no longer a health risk.

Officers returned once more on July 1 and again found that a work schedule had not been complied with and the takeaway ceased trading.

But Majid Malik, for Mr Nasir, said his client was in fact not the operator. Mr Malik told the court it was another man’s responsibility, but he had travelled to Pakistan in 2013 to take care of his mother, leaving behind no arrangements for the business.

He added that Mr Nasir was not working at the takeaway at that time, but was later employed as a chef.

Mr Malik said: “There were a number of visits made. During these visits a number of breaches were determined and officers were trying to determine who the operator was.

“On April 24, Mr Nasir told them it was himself, he did this despite being employed as a chef. No one can blame the health officers that attended.

“Despite not having a share in this business, he took responsibility as the FBO. He did this without really knowing what he was getting himself into.

“He should not have signed documents as the FBO and he knows he has to face the consequences. ”

Mr Nasir, who still works at the takeaway which has since changed hands, was fined £260 and ordered to pay a total of £286 costs.

Councillor Barry Collins, Calderdale Council’s cabinet member for regeneration and economic Development, said:“The Council will take all the necessary steps to stop food businesses putting people at risk, and won’t hesitate to take legal action against those who fail to comply with the law.”