Mum’s shock as the windows blew out

Terri France and son Decklen, 16 months, at their home on Dodge Holme Drive, Mixenden where an aerosol can exploded
Terri France and son Decklen, 16 months, at their home on Dodge Holme Drive, Mixenden where an aerosol can exploded

A MUM was relaxing at home with her toddler son when the windows were blown out by a deodorant cannister exploding.

Miraculously Terri France, 20, was able to scoop up 16-month-old Decklen and flee to safety.

Now a shocked Terri is warning others to keep cannisters away from heat.

The force of the blast blew downstairs windows out at the front and back of the two-bed house in Dodge Holme Drive, Mixenden, Halifax.

She said: “I had just sat on the sofa after pegging out the washing and Decklen was on the floor drinking his bottle.

“Then, there was a big bang and I picked up Decklen and ran into the back garden.”

Fortunately the blast blew the glass outwards but a TV and internal doors were damaged and ceiling tiles cracked.

Miss France said her first thought was to escape with Decklen and her Staffordshire bull terrier D4 in case there was a further explosion.

The deodorant cannister was on the living room floor, the sun was shining into the property and the gas fire was on. Apparently the mixture of the two caused the explosion.

“I’d warn people to be very careful where you leave cannisters. You would not expect what happened from a can of deodorant,” she said.

“This was a freak incident and scary which left me shaken up.”

Neighbours heard the explosion just before 2pm and rushed to help and were relieved to find mum and baby had escaped to the back garden.

Miss France and her son are now staying with friends until repairs are carried out.

Firefighters from Illingworth and Halifax attended.

“The most likely cause of the explosion was an overheated can of deodorant,” said a spokeswoman.

“The can had been left in view of the sun’s rays. When the temperature inside a canister heats up it must release pressure and so it explodes out, causing a small pressure wave which is big enough to blow out the weakest point of the building – in this case the windows and doors.”

Pennine Housing said investigations showed no fault relating to gas pipes or appliances.

“We are pleased that no one was hurt during this freak accident and we will provide help and support to Miss France and repair any damage as quickly as possible,” said Janette Pearce, head of operations.