Odsal firefighters rescue two from house blaze

Halifax Fire Station, King Cross, Halifax
Halifax Fire Station, King Cross, Halifax
0
Have your say

A couple trapped by fire were rescued by firefighters early today. (Sun)

Candles left burning had set alight curtains and a settee in the living room of the three-storey terraced house.

Odsal watch commander Anthony Williams said the man and woman were taken to Bradford Royal Infirmary suffering from smoke inhalation around 5 am.

They had gone up into the attic to escape the fire and were being given advice on the phone by the 999 control centre when firefighters from Odsal and Bradford arrived.

One crew tackled the blaze at Pickles Lane, Great Horton, Bradford, while the other crew led the couple to safety.

Watch commander Williams said smoke was rising up through the house from the ground floor and the property suffered extensive smoke damage.

“The crews did a good job,” he said.

The occupiers had smoke detectors fitted but not working.

Watch commander Williams said the fire service willingly gave free safety advice and he urged people to ring their local fire station for guidance.