Pensioner escapes blazing home

Halifax Fire Station, King Cross, Halifax

Halifax Fire Station, King Cross, Halifax

0
Have your say

A 69-year-old man was treated at the Calderdale Royal Hospital last night after trying to tackle a blaze at his home.

Firefighters were called to Bracken Road, Brighouse, at around 10 pm last night.

A bedside lamp had fallen over and set alight bedsheets.

Brighouse watch commander Simon Moore said 85 per cent of the top floor was gutted and the rest of the property had smoke and water damage.

He said the occupant - alterted by a fire alarm - had tried to fight the blaze unsuccessfully before fleeing the house and was treated at the Calderdale Royal Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

“He did the right thing leaving the house,” said commander Moore.

“We would not advise anyone to tackle a fire at home but to shut the door, get out and phone for help.”