Pensioner suffers burns in house fire in Todmorden

Fire
Fire

AN elderly woman was taken to hospital with burns on her face and head after a house fire in Todmorden yesterday.

Fire crews were called to the home on Stansfield Road at 4.23pm where a pan of fat was on fire.

An 89-year-old woman had been preparing a meal for her 11-year-old grand daughter when the blaze started.

She tried to put the fire out herself but suffered burns.

She was taken to Calderdale Royal Hospital for treatment.

Firefighters are urging people not to leave cooking unattended and if a fire starts in the kitchen, to turn off the power supply if it safe, close the door on the way out and ring 999.