Pet dies in house fire

editorial image
0
Have your say

A pet cat has died in a fire at a home in Elland.

Fire crews were called to the terraced house on Duke Street at around 12.50pm.

An electrical fault on a fridge had started a fire in the kitchen of the property while the owner was out of the house.

Crews from Brighouse and Elland fire stations entered the property with breathing apparatus and brought the fire under control.

There was considerable damge to the kitchen and smoke throughout the house and sadly the cat could not be saved.

Crews left the scene at 3pm and said things could have been worse as the home didn’t have any smoke detectors.

Elland watch commander Stephen Bates said: “We urge homeowners to call their local fire station for free fire safety advice in the home and installation of smoke detectors.”