Kirklees Police has created a drive to prevent sneak in burglaries during the current hot weather.
Detectives are urging residents not to leave doors and windows unlocked and unsupervised while in their gardens enjoying some summer sun, leaving their homes vulnerable to thieves.
Previous experience has shown that in approximately one in four burglaries, entry is gained through an unlocked door or an open window, a type of crime which can be easily preventable.
The Force is currently running an ‘It Only Takes A Minute’ campaign to help prevent sneak in burglaries, Key measures which residents can take to guard against sneak thieves include:
• Lock all doors and windows when working in the garden or garage.
• A simple security chain, from DIY stores can prevent unwanted entry into the home.
• Never leave keys in the locks of doors or windows or on view
• Avoid leaving valuables near windows, for example mobile phones, handbags, jewellery, expensive ornaments and keys.
• Consider installing an audible warning system on external doors which will alert you to possible intruders.