Queensbury house blaze: Boy, 13, taken to hospital

editorial image

A teenager called the fire service after a blaze at his home in Queensbury.

The 13-year-old boy dialled 999 when he became engulfed in smoke at his home on Fern Lea, Queensbury at 3.40pm today (Friday).

The teenager managed to rescue his cat and get out of the house before fire crews from Illingworth and Odsal arrived.

He was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

Firefighters entered the house using hose reels and breathing apparatus to put out the fire.

It is thought that the cause of the fire could be a fault with a vacuum cleaner which was a the base of the stairs - and ignited some clothing on the bannister, quickly spreading the fire.

The blaze damaged the downstairs hallway, the stairs and the first floor landing and the house was heavily smoke-logged.