Safety warning after fire at Halifax waste transfer station

Firefighters attend a fire at a waste transfer site on  Swales Moor Road, Halifax
Firefighters attend a fire at a waste transfer site on Swales Moor Road, Halifax

A recycling company has issued a safety warning after a fire at its waste transfer station in Halifax.

Eight appliances, including Halifax, Illingworth, Elland and Brighouse, were called to the fire at the Envirowaste Services Ltd site on Swales Moor Road at 5.20pm last night (Sunday).

Around 10 per cent of the site, which houses around 800 tonnes of waste, was on fire.

Firefighters used two large hose reel jets and four breathing apparatus to tackle the fire. Additional crews attended to pump water from the supply on Swales Moor Road.

A site employee used a JCB digger to move the rubbish around to allow water to be pumped throughout the pile,

The fire was caused by a small amount of smouldering waste material and bosses at Envirowaste have issued a safety warning to householders.

Waste transfer manager Jenny Firth said: “The cinders arrived in a household waste collection and were noticed during the site’s hourly inspection. It is imperative that people do not put fire embers in their household waste so situations like this can be avoided.

“When the new waste transfer station was completed in 2013 we put many new procedures in place. Our fire procedures, which are regularly reviewed and updated, include an hourly site inspection which allowed us to successfully control this situation without any injury or damage occurring. We feel strongly that all waste facilities should ensure their fire procedures include an hourly inspection as part of their health and safety reporting.”

The fire had been extinguished by 8.40pm, but firefighters remained at the scene as a precaution until mid-morning today (Monday).