Show must go on say crisis-hit drama group

Actors from Me and My Girl. Picture Steve Barraclough
Actors from Me and My Girl. Picture Steve Barraclough
0
Have your say

PERFORMERS in Halifax are vowing their show will go on despite losing their set just days before opening night.

Halifax Light Opera Society were expecting the scenery for Me and My Girl to be delivered on Saturday in time for the first performance at the Victoria Theatre tomorrow.

But they were thrown into crisis on Friday after being called by suppliers Scenic Projects Limited with the news the trailer containing their set had gone missing.

It had been in a truck park off the A1 near Durham after being used by another group in Glasgow and until it was needed in Halifax.

When the supplier went to pick it up on Friday morning, the trailer was not there.

Nick Garrod, managing director of the firm, said the police have been called in and a search is now ongoing for the missing scenery.

Fortunately, Scenic Projects Ltd have another set they can supply.

It is not exactly the same, and will require some directional changes, but will mean the performances can take place as planned.

George Mitchell, chairman of Halifax Light Opera Society: “They have another set which is of a similar construction and we’re re-drafting some stage plans,” he said.

“The show will go on!”

He added many tickets for the show, which includes several well-known songs, have been sold.

Originally a 1930s show, it was revived for the West End with a revised script by Stephen Fry. It opened at the Adelphi Theatre, London, in 1985 where it ran for eight years.