Sleeping man saved by smoke detector in Halifax chip pan fire

.
.

A smoke detector alerted a sleeping resident to a chip pan fire in the kitchen of his Halifax home.

Fire crews from Halifax and Illingworth were called to the blaze at Albion Court, St James Road, at 5.30pm this evening (May 11).

Two pumps attended the scene as crews battled with flames for one hour.

The flat kitchen was badly damaged in the flames but thanks to a working smoke detector the man escaped any injuries.

The man managed to put out some of the flames with a damp tea towel.

Halifax fire station asks all residents to check their smoke detectors to make sure they are in good working order and to contact the station if they require a free smoke detector installing at their home.