A super hero Dad came to the rescue to save the life of his two-year-old son.
Richard Grinsdale, 28, gave Harley-Ryan the kiss of life to bring him back to life after he stopped breathing.
Mother Lisa Grant, 24, was getting Harley-Ryan ready for bed at their Mount Avenue, Halifax, family home when she noticed he was staring into space. She tried to engage Harley-Ryan but when he went floppy she dashed upstairs to dad Richard and called for an ambulance.
“He was fitting and having seizures. I rushed him downstairs to try to cool him down as his temperature was through the roof. Then he stopped breathing,” said Richard.
“I gave him mouth-to-mouth for three minutes - it seemed like an eternity.
“When Lisa was asking me questions I didn’t want to say he had stopped breathing because I didn’t want to panic her.”
The ambulance arrived and Harley-Ryan was treated by doctors at Calderdale Royal Hospital.
“About 15 doctors and nurses pounced on him, they knew it was something serious,” said Lisa.
After four nights in hospital, Harley-Ryan was released home with his parents.
Paramedics told the father-of-one, that his son, who contracted meningitis, could have died had it not been for his life saving CPR training.
Both Richard, a former life guard and Lisa, a nursery nurse, have carried out first aid training and now want to highlight the importance of first aid to other parents.
“Harley-Ryan might not have been with us today if Richard hadn’t resuscitated him,” said Lisa.
Grandma Diane Grinsdale, who called the Courier to tell us of her son’s heroic actions said: “I am so proud of him. If it wasn’t for Richard’s reaction, Harley-Ryan would not be here now. I wouldn’t want any family to go through what we have been through.”
“I just responded to the situation,” said Richard.
When the Courier visited the family home on Monday, Harley-Ryan, who had returned from his first day back at nursery, was playing with his get well toys.
“We’ve made such a fuss of him - we’re so lucky he’s still here,” said Lisa.
It is estimated 3,200 people contract bacterial meningitis in the UK every year, according to Meningitis Research Foundation.