Crews dealt with a 7th floor fire at Castlegate House, Elland, after reports of smoke in a stairwell.
Elland Crew Commander Ian Harrop said on arrival some occupants were outside the flats and it wasn’t necessary to evacuate those that remained inside.
A wooden louvre window was found to be smouldering and crews brought a “water riser” up to the 7th floor to tackle the fire.
Commander Harrop said a cigarette butt wedged between stone and the wooden frame was believed to be the cause of the fire.
Crews from Elland and Halifax dealt with the incident early this afternoon. (Wed)