It is Chinese New Year so here is a healthy and delicious way to celebrate with a vegetarian bean stir fry.
This dish is packed with protein and a good kick of spice from the Tabasco sauce.
Fresh coriander adds a delicious aroma when sprinkled on the dish just before serving.
Make sure you cook the rice on the day of making this dish.
Cool the rice rapidly and refrigerate it until used.
Do not reheat any leftover stir fry. Always refrigerate cooked rice and only store it for a maximum of 24 hours.
Do not reheat stored cooked rice more than once because it can harbour harmful bacteria, which may not be destroyed during reheating a second time.
(This receipe will serve four people)
l2-3 tablespoons sunflower oil
l1-2cm ginger root – grated
l4-6 spring onions – trimmed and sliced
l1 head of pak choi – sliced thinly
l100g canned sweetcorn niblets
l1x410g canned kidney beans – rinsed and drained
l300g long grain rice – cooked and cooled
l1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
l2 tablespoons fresh coriander - chopped
- large pan or wok
- chopping board
- sharp knife
- large slotted or perforated spoon
- serving bowls
How to make it
1. Heat the oil in the pan. Add the spring onion, ginger, mangetout, red pepper and pak choi and fry briskly until slightly softened.
2. Add the corn and kidney beans and cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes. Add the rice and continue to cook until the rice is piping hot.
3. Sprinkle the rice and vegetable mixture with tobasco and mix it in gently. Spoon the stir fry into the serving bowls.
4. Sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve immediately.