TV dinner tragedy for grandfather

0
Have your say

A GRANDFATHER died after choking on a piece of steak while watching television.

David Ackroyd, 70, and his wife Margaret decided to have a TV dinner instead of sitting at the table when the BBC quiz show The Weakest Link came on last Monday, an inquest heard.

But suddenly, the retired textile worker started coughing as a morsel became lodged.

Mrs Ackroyd patted him on the back, but then called 999 and went outside to get help.

A neighbour came and put Mr Ackroyd in the recovery position while they waited for an ambulance.

Paramedics quickly arrived at the couple’s home in Daleson Close, Northowram, and removed the chunk of meat with forceps.

Attempts were made to resuscitate him as he was rushed to Calderdale Royal Hospital, but he never recovered.

Dr Richard Johnson, a consultant who treated him, told relatives he had suffered severe hypoxic brain injury due to a lack of oxygen.

His family agreed to withdraw treatment, and Mr Ackroyd died surrounded by loved ones three hours later at 7.10pm.

Acting coroner Paul Marks recorded a verdict of accidental death.

As well as his widow, Sowerby Bridge-born Mr Ackroyd leaves two sons, a daughter and four grandchildren.

In a statement read to the Halifax hearing, Mrs Ackroyd said: “He was a kind, gentle family man who loved his family and we loved him to bits.”