Woman saved after Halifax flat fire

Halifax Fire Station, King Cross, Halifax
Halifax Fire Station, King Cross, Halifax

A woman was dramatically rescued from a fire in her home in Halifax in the early hours of this morning.

She was able to call firefighters to the flat she lived in on the twelfth floor of the Lister Court building in Gibbet Street, Halifax, at 1.01am.

Crews were able to gain access to the building using breathing apparatus.

Once inside they found the woman was suffering from smoke inhalation.

They were able to get her to the ground where she was treated by first aiders before being taken to Calderdale Royal Hospital by ambulance.

Crew commander Jones of Halifax Fire Station said: “This is another example of where having a working, battery operated smoke detector has saved a person’s life.”

Four fire engines from Halifax, Illingworth and Elland, as well as a specialised hydraulic platform from Huddersfield, were used in the rescue.