Byrne strikes twice to secure a double success

Shaun Byrne
Shaun Byrne

Hen’s Face threw the Bridge Balti Halifax Sunday League Division Two title race wide open after seeing off leaders Top Club 2-1 in one of only two matches to beat the weather.

Both teams had been in fine form going into the game, but it was Hen’s Face who emerged derserved winners to secure a league double and maintain their record of being the only team to beat Top Club this season.

Shaun Byrne ran onto a through ball to slot the visitors ahead before the break.

Top Club levelled 10 minutes into the second half and it was game on.

Hen’s Face missed the best of the chances on offer before Byrne netted again to settle matters.

Hebden Bridge secured a resounding 8-1 home win over a very strong Feathers Reserves side.

A 10am inspection resulted in the pitch being declared fit and both sides played some good football.

It was the visitors who took the lead after 10 minutes with Feathers needing two attempts to finally get the better of Bridge ‘keeper Kenny Bills.

This shocked Bridge into life and they soon equalised thanks to nice work down the left from James Redmand who took on two defenders before crossing for Matty Marsden to net with a neat finish into the bottom corner.

Bridge soon added a second when a long kick from Bills found the head of Marsden. He flicked the ball onto Gavin Martin who took it round the ‘keeper before slotting home.

It was 3-1 just before half-time thanks to Martin’s diving header from a Steve Oni corner.

Hebden took control of the game early in the second half and added a fourth from Adam Newby’s sweet strike into the top corner from 25 yards.

Matty Marsden added a fine solo goal, taking on two defenders before placing his shot into the far corner of the net. Marsden then rounded of a perfect day for him and his team with his hat-trick goal following man of the match James Dixon’s defence splitting pass.

Bridge’s final two goals came from their all time topscorer Gav Martin who showed quality touches and lethal finishing. The first was set up by substitute Jamie Casey’s cross from the left while the last involved all 11 Bridge players for Martin to finish at the back post.