FC Halifax Town 5 Workington 1

Jamie Rainford got Town's fourth
Jamie Rainford got Town's fourth

FC Halifax Town put five past Workington as Neil Aspin’s men got back to winning ways in style at the Shay.

First half goals from Dale Johnson and two from Gareth Seddon were followed by second half strikes from Jamie Rainford and Lee Gregory as Town cruised to a 5-1 win.

Click here to view the picture gallery from the game - photographs by Bruce Fitzgerald

Workington had briefly equalised in the first half through Gareth Arnison, but the Shaymen were simply too much for their Cumbrian opponents.

A torrential downpour had threaten to put the game in doubt just an hour before kick off, but groundsmen worked hard to clear the pitch of standing water to ensure it went ahead.

Aspin made two changes from the side beaten at home to Colwyn Bay on Tuesday, with Jason St Juste replacing Liam Needham at left back and Ryan Toulson in for Jon Worthington, with Chris Worsley moving from right back into midfield.

Town began the game brightly, and thought they could have had a fourth minute penalty when Gregory was hauled back as he burst through on the left, but the referee gave a free-kick on the edge of the box which Jarrett blasted into the wall after a Seddon lay off.

Workington’s first real effort came on ten minutes, when captain Johnny Wright twisted and turned on the edge of the box before Liam Hogan blocked his right foot shot.

The visitors set up to hit Town on the counter attack, and Hogan again was called into action to turn behind a Chris Wraighte cross from the right.

Five minutes later Town had the lead, when Seddon flicked the ball into the path of Johnson, who lifted the ball over the onrushing keeper.

But the lead lasted only 90 seconds, when full back Gary Rowndtree was given time to cross from the left allowing striker Arnison to delicately turn the ball in off the far post.

And it could have got worse for the Shaymen on the half hour when Arnison’s shot was saved by Glennon after he was put through following mis control from Paul Marshall.

But the Shaymen responded well, and two minutes after they could have gone behind, they regained the lead, Seddon calmy rounding the Aaran Taylor after a deflected cross into the Workington back line fell short of the the keeper.

The Workington keeper made amense on 38 minutes when he brilliantly palmed behind a Seddon shot after a scramble inside the box following a Marshall corner, but he could do nothing to stop Seddon heading in Town’s third on 41 minutes.

After Johnson won a corner on the right, Workington switched off and allowed Marshall to take it short to Toulson, who had all the time in the world to hang his inviting cross to the back post where the former Fleetwood man rose highest to nod in his second of the afternoon and give Town a 3-1 lead at half time.

Jamie Rainford replaced Johnson at half time and could have put the Shaymen 4-1 up within five minutes of coming on when he brilliantly turned Seddon’s cross from the right between two defenders, but shot straight at the keeper from six yards.

He made no mistake just a minute later.

Gregory worked the ball down the left and, after drawing the keeper out, pulled his cross back to Rainford, who side footed the ball past the defenders on the line.

Town were well on top, and Workington needed Taylor to produce a fine save to deny Seddon his hat-trick after he was fed by Rainford.

Seddon set up full back Toulson whose shot was blocked and Jarrett shot over just before the hour as Town tried to make their dominance tell even further.

On 70 minutes Jarrett saw his back post shot stopped on the line after St Juste’s deep cross, and only a poor first touch from Gregory prevented him getting a strike on goal after a through ball from the lively Rainford.

Only the width of the crossbar denied Seddon after he shot following a short free-kick on the edge of the box, but from the resulting corner Town got their fifth, Gregory powering in Marshall’s delivery at the near post.

Workington had barely threatened since the break, and sub Callum Hassan dragged their best chance wide of the near post with eight minutes to go, and Glennon had to be sharp to deny Jake Simpson as he raced through minutes later as Town cruised to an easy win.

FC Halifax: Glennon, Toulson, St Juste, Hogan, Lowe, Worsley (Worthington 86 mins), Marshall, Jarrett (Needham, 73 mins), Johnson (Rainford, 45 mins), Seddon, Gregory. Unused subs: Senior, Qualter.

Workington: Taylor, Cowberthwaite, Rowndtree, May, Bolton, Boyd, Sloan (Simpson, 56 mins), Vaulks, Wright (Hassan 60 mins), Arnison, Wraighte (Da Costa, 59 mins). Unused subs: Todd, Scott.

Goals: Johnson (25), Arnison (27), Seddon (32, 41), Rainford (51). Gregory (76)

Attendance: 1,167