Holland’s strike is enough for Shaymen

Solihull Moors 0

Halifax Town 1

Town missed two penalties but still booked a place in the first round of the FA Cup thanks to a goal from Danny Holland.

The striker came off the bench to get on the end of a Ryan Toulson cross and fire home with 16 minutes of the tie at Solihull remaining.

It was a game that had the feel of one which would be settled by a single goal, although both sides had opportunities before and after Holland’s effort.

Town’s best first half chance fell to Tom Baker whose 35th minute spot kick hit the top of the bar and flew over.

And Holland could have calmed any Town nerves deep into stoppage time when Baker was brought down in the area for a second time, but his spot kick was saved by the keeper.

Simon Eastwood returned in goal, although not fully recovered as Toulson took the goal kicks, as did Danny Lowe, who was in the side in place of cup tied James Marwood.

Liam Hogan took a couple of early blows after some brave defending but overall it was a sluggish start for a cup tie.

Town had the first chance after 10 minutes when Tom Baker picked out Lee Gregory on the left of the area.

His first shot was saved by the keeper and when he fed Simon Garner from the rebound, the midfielder’s shot was deflected behind for a corner.

Gregory did not last much longer as his hamstring went four minutes later and he was replaced by Jason St Juste.

Solihull had a chance themselves moments later from a left wing corner, Dominic Langdon heading narrowly wide from eight yards.

The Shaymen produced a fine move to create an opening after 21 minutes when St Juste took a return pass from Aaron Hardy on the left and crossed for James Dean who turned well only to see his shot deflected over the bar.

And a 25th-minute foul on Baker gave Garner a chance to fire in a free kick, but his well struck effort hit the defensive wall.

The Shaymen had a let off on the half hour when Simon Johnson played Jordan Fitzpatrick in down the right but Junior English was unable to get on the end of the cross.

And a minute later James McPike threatened to get free on the right but was closed down and fired weakly at Eastwood.

Town had the perfect chance to open the scoring 10 minutes before the break when Baker was tripped in the area by Stuart Pierpoint, but the skipper’s well struck spot kick bounced over off the top off the bar.

The Shaymen were forced to withstand a spell of pressure after that, Toulson clearing well from English and Dean from a left wing corner.

There was some respite from a Toulson free kick which rebounded to Dean, but he fired straight at the keeper.

And there was a great challenge from Pierpoint on Dean as he tried to get on the end of a Toulson cross.

Langdon headed a John James Milligan corner just wide of the target within 90 seconds of the restart.

Town responded with a quick break as Hardy sent Harry Winter racing down the right but his cross was just in front of St Juste.

And a Scott McManus long throw almost gave Dean the chance to shoot, but a defender nipped in to deny him.

Substitute Danny Holland was at the back post to head Garner’s 63rd minute corner goalwards, but he put it into the keeper’s arms.

Solihull went straight to the other end and Fitzpatrick found James McPike who lashed an effort inches wide.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 74th minute when Toulson raced down the right out of defence. He looked up and curled a cross towards the edge of the six yard box and Holland raced in to fire home.

McManus had a chance to finish it with 10 minutes remaining when he collected a pass from St Juste but his low shot was saved.

Dean was back on defensive duties with six minutes remaining when he cleared a Ryan Beswick free kick and Fitzpatrick might have done better from 12 yards but could only find Eastwood with a first time effort.

Town almost struck on the break when Dean flicked on for St Juste who raced into the area only to be denied by the keeper and Holland sent a left footed shot bouncing narrowly wide.

The Shaymen should have had a second in stoppage time when Garner sent Baker away and he went down under a challenge from the keeper, but Holland’s spot kick was saved.