Mixed feelings for Town boss

Neil Aspin
Neil Aspin
Have your say

Neil Aspin was unhappy with the performance but delighted with the three points as Town stretched their unbeaten run in all competitions to four with a 1-0 Blue Square North victory at Histon on Saturday.

The game enthralled the neutrals but left Aspin less than enamoured - his mood not being helped by a red card for defender Jason Jarrett deep into stoppage time at the end of the game.

In fact the Town chief saved most of his criticism for the referee who Aspin believed grabbed all the attention.

Dale Johnson climbed off his sick bed to score the only goal early in the second half, but Histon will feel they should have deserved at least a point after seeing the ball cleared off the line then come back off the underside of the crossbar in one frantic first half scramble.

“I won’t make any excuses, we didn’t play particularly well,” said Aspin. “You can always say you’ve had a long journey and just got off the bus, but we were lethargic and we never passed with any tempo.

“It was a frustrating, scrappy game which didn’t flow compared to how we have played in the last few weeks.

“I wasn’t happy first half and I didn’t think we did that much better in the second, but we got the goal. Dale hadn’t trained all week as he had been suffering from a virus, but we had to start him and I thought if we could get 60 minutes out of him then hopefully he will be ready for the game on Tuesday.

“I wouldn’t say then that the goal would win us the game, but we have come away with a 1-0 and I would take that any day of the week.”

Aspin was full of praise for a Histon side who worked hard to stop Town playing while carving out a number of opportunities themselves.

“Instead of moaning about our own team you have to give credit to the opposition,” added Aspin “They were lively, I thought they closed down very well and stopped us passing the ball.

“If they can continue to play like that then they will cause teams problems.”

Aspin’s praise did not stretch to the referee, however, with the Town boss calling many of his decisions strange.

He booked Jason St Juste and Paul Marshall after ordering a Town freee-kick to be retaken having cautioned Lee Gregory in the first half following a tussle with Histon’s Zak Mills in the home penalty area.

Jarrett was then shown red late on, allegedly for use of an elbow as Town looked to run down the clock.

“It was a terrible decision,” said Aspin. “You just want to talk about the game, but the ref was so much part of it and you cannot do a report without mentioning that,” said Aspin.

“All the attention was on him and I think that’s wrong and I am very disappointed.”

Aspin has now turned his attention to tomorrow night’s game against Vauxhall Motors and is happy that his side will go into that match on a high.

“We knew we needed to get the points at Histon which we did, so we can go into Tuesday night knowing that we have another three points and another game out of the way.”