Town fans putting their shirts on the Shaymen on the eve of big kick-off

0
Have your say

FC Halifax Town’s new kit is flying off the shelves on the eve of the 2014-15 season getting underway.

Town’s deal with Adidas provoked a surge of interest among Halifax supporters, who have clamoured for their chance to put their shirt on the Shaymen.

So with the new season just a day away, we thought it would be a good time to look back on some stylish successes and fashion faux pa’s from Halifax Town’s wardrobe.

The club have pre-dominantly worn a blue and white kit, though they initially played in black and white stripes and were nicknamed the Magpies between 1911 and 1916.

They adopted a blue strip for the first time in 1919 following the end of the First World War, and were nicknamed the Royal Blues.

In 1924-25 Town adopted blue shirts with gold shoulders for two years before reverting back to blue and white stripes, a strip they were with the odd modification until the end of 1946-47.

It was then that Halifax Town changed to all blue shirts with white collars, a strip worn during the famous FA Cup run of 1952-53, though for the 1951-52 season Halifax wore claret shirts with blue sleeves.

All-blue shirts with hooped collars were introduced for the 1962-63 season and it wasn’t until George Kirby introduced tangerine shirts and light blue shorts in 1970-71 that anything too radical was seen.

During 1982-83 the name of club’s first sponsors, Macdee (fitted kitchens), appeared on the shirts.

Town wore blue and white striped shirts with blue shorts during 1988-89 and Jim McCalliog adopted Argentina’s light blue and white striped shirt for 1990-91.

An all-light blue strip was introduced for 1991-92 and stripes once more for the ill-fated 1992-93 campaign. Thereafter, Town’s kit was redesigned each season, including the promotion-winning campaign of 1997-98 and the near miss of the 2005-06 season when they lost to Hereford in the Conference play-off final.

How many of these do you remember?

Thanks to FC Halifax Town historian Johnny Meynell for his help with this article.