Boothtown happy with switch after they progress in cup

Boothtown Juniors under 13s and Ryburn managed to beat the weather by switching their first round cup game to the new all weather 3G pitch at Calderdale College.

It was Boothtown who went home the happier following a 13-0 victory, a scoreline which did not do justice to the efforts Ryburn put in.

Boothtown adapted to the new surface quickly and the game was only minutes old when man of the match Nicky Meade finished following a fine break down the right by Steve McCurry.

Josh Langan then finished from close range before McCurry added the third with a neat finish.

A great pass from the left by Jordan Kilvingon put skipper Tom McGregor through and he hit a fine long range effort which gave Jake Casey no chance.

McCurry added his second after a great through ball by Nathan Field and that just left time in the first half for Meade to add his second and Boothtown’s sixth when he benefited from strong play down the left by full back Jack Helliwell and for McCurry to complete his hat-trick.

Ryburn battled throughout with James Corbett having a fine game at the back whilst striker Cain Priestley caused the Boothtown defence problems, but he found centre half Jake Tait in fine form.

The second half was a similar story with the lively Nicky Meade completing his hat-trick, before swapping places with keeper Bradley Madin who responded with a goal of his own.

Ryburn struggled to contain Dan Hildred who scored two goals from long range runs through the Ryburn defence, and he also created goals for Josh Langan to tap in and right winger Cameron Visciano who finished well from the edge of the box.

Greetland under 14 Stars recovered from their Cup exit but put in a laboured performance to see off spirited Battyeford side 4-1.

Stars opened the scoring when Sean Gabbitas turned the ball in from a tight angle after Jake Rust’s shot was parried by the home keeper.

The visitors, who lacked composure and confidence, should have extended the lead but Jake Moorman twice fired wide from close range and Rust hit the crossbar before Battyeford equalised through Tyler Ward.

The second half was a tight and tense affair with Ben Bean excelling at the back for the Stars before substitute Louis Rushworth grabbed a 15 minute hat-trick.

After Battyeford failed to clear a Stars corner, Rushworth powered an effort into the net from close range before persevering through challenges to fire in a second and give the Stars some breathing space.

Only a sensational save from Luke Heaton denied Battyeford another goal as he tipped a goal bound effort over the crossbar before Rushworth wrapped up the win, moving on to Jake Airey’s pass to slot under the advancing goalkeeper.

HALIFAX Irish Whites under 12s were beaten 4-1 by Ryburn in a very entertaining game.

Irish, playing their first game for nine weeks and missing some key players, started well with Brandon Jackson putting in a dangerous cross that the Ryburn defence just managed to clear.

Ryburn then had a good spell with James Langley saving well and Junaid Shaban clearing off the line from the rebound. Bradley Mellor had a shot saved and another shot flew wide on his Irish debut and Jack Chesters shot wide.

James Langley made another good save as Ryburn hit Irish on the counter attack.

Irish almost scored when Jack Chesters shot narrowly over the bar before Ryburn punished Irish to make it 1-0. Brooke O’Shea then played Brandon Jackson in but the keeper saved his shot to leave it 1-0 at the break.

Ryburn started the second half well but Irish almost levelled when a 30 yard shot from Corey Budgen crashed onto the bar and Brooke O’Shea and Joe Batty saw shots go wide.

Ryburn punished those near misses when they scored to make it 2-0 against the run of play.

A long throw from Corey Budgen was seized upon by Brandon Jackson but the keeper saved before Junaid Shaban took one for the team when he somehow got his body in the way of a goal bound Ryburn shot.

Jack Chesters had a great shot come back off the bar before, with Irish pouring forward, Ryburn sealed the game with two further goals.

Irish still attacked and Corey Budgen shot wide twice before they got the goal they deserved when a Jack Chesters through ball was siezed upon by Brandon Jackson and he blasted the ball home.