Heath made to toil before securing win

Heath Senior Colts had to work hard before securing a 21-19 success over West Park Leeds.

West Park played open rugby which led to an impressive converted try via their centre, who raced clear after some woeful tackling.

Heath started to find their feet, with Kofi Brobbey making some great yardage from strong runs. This allowed the forwards to build a platform and the ball was spun out to the backs with Ben Coney Critchley scoring, Max Sheldrake converting,

Heath moved up a gear and it was not long before Jordan Moana broke the defence and sprinted clear to score his first try for the club, Sheldrake again successful with the boot for a 14-7 half-time lead.

It was a disappointing try that allowed West Park to level the scores. Heath called the next play but the hosts heard it, read it and scored an interception try under the posts

Heath were not to be beaten though and James Wilkinson capitalized on some hard work from the whole pack to score, Sheldrake again successful with the extras.

West Park tested Heath’s defence for the last 15 minutes and debutant Jack Ledgard cleared the lines with his kicking game before the hosts scored out wide late on.

Old Brods under 15s travelled to Bradford & Bingley keen to start the season following no game last week and got off to a storming start with a 74-0 success.

Their intentions were clear from the kick off, driving forward on the attack with a quick first try by Alex Snowball for a 5-0 lead.

Brods continued to play as a unit with outstanding in both defence and attack which yielded further tries for Toby West and Harry Dunne with Tom Wilson’s kicking lifting the score to 29-0.

Bingley fought hard but the Brods defence was rarely broken long enough for them to capitalise and the first half ended with Snowball crossing and Wilson converting for a 36-0 advantage.

Brods made changes at the break but kept up the pressure despite a few penalties, and scored further tries through Luke Chadwick and Alfie Blackhall. B

Brods were well organised and kept to their game plan which allowed a platform for Reegan Hargreaves to produce an outstanding run of four tries, all converted by Dunne, to mark a great start to the season.

Old Brods under 13s provided a much improved display at Bradford & Bingley scoring seven tries to one ina 41-5 success.

The Brods pack dominated throughout providing a stream of excellent ball for the backs to use. They responded with a fine running and kicking game. Although an early Cillian Neal try was levelled by Bees, Brods soon began to find their touch and Joe Potter scored their second try, collecting his own chip through to sprint away for a fine individual effort.

As the pack got on top, No 8 Ben Stringer was able to score a hat trick of tries, picking up and driving over from set pieces. Harris Morris kicked well throughout and was rewarded with a try from a typically energetic chase. Liam Stapley also produced a number of determined runs to break the line and picked up a deserved score.

Old Rishworthians under 15s went down to a 41-24 defeat by Huddersfield.

Huddersfield opened the scoring with two tries before Rishworthians hit back with series of forward drives to the visitors line. From a ruck the ball was spun out to Harry Robinson who burst through the defence to score, James Stott converting.

Rishworthians levelled when Tom Jowle picked up from a ruck to dive over for his first try but Huddersfield added a further try to lead 17-12 at the break

The match went away from Rishies in the first 15 minutes of the second half with Huddersfield adding three more tries. Rishies fought back when Tom Jowle scored his second under the posts converted by Stott.

Huddersfield replied with a further try which produced a Rishies fight back. Excellent forward play gained good yards and Harry Robinson released the backs. The ball was wide allowing Sam Hall to score on his debut, the missed conversion was the final action of the match.

Old Rishworthians under 13s clinched a 20-19 victory over Huddersfield with the last play of the match.

Huddersfield began well but Morgan Smithies made a good break for Raiders drew his defender and released wing Sam Puddephatt to score. More Raiders pressure saw Toby Muscat-Baron pick up a loose ball and dive over from short range.

Huddersfield came back strongly in the second half to score a converted try. Raiders extend their lead to 15-7 when a quick tap penalty by Connor Friend was held held near the line but Smithies came out of a ruck with the ball and crossed the whitewash.

Huddersfield and scored a converted try. Raiders defence was breached again as the Huddersfield centre the defence and scored giving the visitors a 19-15 lead.

In the dying seconds though a penalty was awarded inside the Huddersfield 22m. A well practiced move saw the ball pass through several hands and then out to wing Puddephatt, to finish off a great team try.

Rishworthians under 14s were also involved in a close tussle with Huddersfield before running out 8-5 winners.

Huddersfield caught Rishworthians napping to score an unconverted try after just three minutes. The Reds settled down and began to play their game with wings Will Fielden and Ben Rooney going close.

Rishies started the second half brightly and Fielden was denied by a great tackle before Will Bowers picked up from a scrum and offloaded to scrum half McDonnell whose pass sent Fielden over in the corner to level the scores at 5-5.

With the last play of the game. The Reds recovered lost line out ball and spun it wide to wing Rooney who was held short. Quick ball from the ruck to Nunn, he struck a drop kick which went over to give Rishies the most dramatic victory.

Heath under 15s made it three wins for the season with a 26-7 success at Baildon.

The first 15 minutes exchanges were pretty even with both sides tackling well. As the game began to open up, Heath’s big no 8, Oliver Tandy, was first to cross for the visitors.

From the restart Heath failed to gather and were punished straight away for Baildon to take a 7-5 lead. Then, just before half time, Heath got into a good field position which allowed Tandy to crash over for his second of the game, Ellam converting for a 12-7 interval lead.

Heath picked up a couple of injuries at the start of the second half with Ben Sykes and Edward Black being replaced by Wilkinson and Norcliffe. This upset the pattern of the game before Heath managed to gain the upper hand and Riley Cowgill spotted a gap and crashed over next to the posts, Ellam converting.

After several flare ups the referee had a stern word with both sets of players. This fired Heath up and Sam Sharp found centre Jack Fox who evaded several tackles to score a great try again converted by Ellam.

Old Brods under 14s returned from their trip to Driffield with a 42-10 success under their belts.

After going down to an early try, Brods gradually upped their game and once into their stride they put in a strong performance and scored some high quality tries including a hat-trick to speedy wing Moorhouse.

Strong performances in the forwards from Stringer and Galvin and at half back, Ramsden and Daniel Smith, gave the outside backs plenty of opportunity to run and brought good games from Roderick and Spooner.

The other try scorers for Brods were Stringer, a deserved score for prop Danny Smith, Masters, Whylie and a length of the field effort from Galvin.