Scott Gladwin will face the biggest fight of his career in March on his return to the ring after an absence of almost a year.
The 25-year-old from Halifax is to face unbeaten Jason Cunningham for the vacant English bantamweight title at Doncaster Dome on Saturday, March 8.
Gladwin, who has won six out of eight in the pro ranks, will be the underdog in a fight being billed as the “Battle of England.”
The 24-year-old Cunningham is from Doncaster and very much a local favourite but Gladwin will hope to spring a surprise in a delayed battle of southpaws.
Gladwin, a painter and decorator from Ovenden, had been due to meet Cunningham last September on the under card to the David Haye versus Tyson Fury fight in Manchester.
The show was cancelled when Haye suffered a cut in training and the heavyweight has since hinted that he may retire.
Gladwin’s last fight was at Doncaster Dome on April 19 last year when he inflicted a first defeat on Connor Nixon, winning the Central Area super bantamweight title on points over 10 rounds.
Gladwin’s father Bob said his son had been ticking over in the gym during his lengthy absence from the ring.
“This is a big chance for Scott because whoever wins will get a chance to fight for a British title and earn some decent money,” he said.
Gladwin has only 50 tickets to sell to his supporters at £30 each. He is also looking for sponsors to help with his training costs and can be contacted on 07743 233684.