Ovenden’s proud run ended by Skelmanthorpe

Have your say

Ovenden West Riding Juniors hosted Skelmanthorpe and suffered their first home defeat for two years going down to a heavy 6-1 defeat.

Ovenden had two glorious chances to take the lead when first Connor Atkinson raced clear but shot tamely at the keeper before a through ball put Morgan Griffiths in on goal but his shot was superbly tipped away for a corner.

Skelmanthorpe then won a free kick wide on the right and a great delivery to the far post was steered in to give them the lead. Almost immediately hesitation in the Ovenden defence allowed Skelmanthorpe time and space to add a second and barely three minutes later non-existent marking in defence from a corner allowed the visitors to fire in for 3-0. Ovenden tried hard to counter but a strong Skelmanthorpe defence kept them out.

The visitors added another goal when Ovenden failed to clear a corner and the home side’s nightmare half was completed when Skelmanthorpe added anotherfor a 5-0 interval lead

Ovenden upped their game after the break, but a tough tackling and determined defence held them at bay, Ovenden’s only reward was a solo effort from Kaylum Moran-Paine who danced through a packed defence and shot home from close range.

Skelmanthorpe, though, had the last word with a lightning break from defence in the last minute and some fine passing ended with an excellent lobbed shot to give the visitors a deserved win.

Boothtown Juniors under 14s were presented with their new kit before their first league game of the season by local companies AGS and Metal Tech.

Boothtown responded with a fine performance, beating newly promoted Warley Whites 8-0. However, the game was much closer than the scoreline suggests with the opening 20 minutes being closely contested and it wasn’t until pressure from a corner saw Nathan Field squeeze the ball home.

This was closely followed by man of the match Tom McGregor adding a fine finish and then striker Josh Langan adding the third with a strong run and finish.

Callum Jackson added a fourth before Steve McCurry was rewarded with some fine play down the left with a quick-fire hat-trick.

That just left time for Sam Sinclair to wrap up the scoring. To their credit Warley battled to the end but found Mason Whittel and Jake Tait in excellent form at the heart of the defence, whilst keeper Bradley Madin covered the defence with some fine clearances off his line.

Boothtown gave debuts to new signings Whittel, Lawrence Okanga, Corey Wilson and Daulton Walker and all had fine first games.

Greetland Goldstars under 16s kicked off their home fixtures in Division Four of the Huddersfield League with an excellent 4-0 win over high flying Howden Clough B thanks to a hat-trick from Thomas Hales.

Greetland had three players making their debuts and they stamped their authority on the game from the start. Up front Thomas Hales looked sharp and grabbed two goals before the break, the second a delightful chip over the onrushing keeper.

Midfield Joe Nicolson, Robson Baines and Matthew Davies controlled the game while out wide Jack Kenworthy, returning to action following a serious injury, looked sharper as the game went on.

Greetland were never in any danger thanks to some great defensive displays from Matthew Wray, Calvin Marlor and Ben Harris and midway through the second half Hales secured his treble with a well worked move and then Luke Whitworth again found the keeper off his line and chipped over to make it 4-0.

Rastrick Juniors under 16s maintained their good Huddersfield RCD Division Three start to the season with a 4-1 success over Netherton

Their first came within 10 minutes from a Matty Henigan header after Cameron Burnside had hit the post. Danny Walsh constantly caused problems down the right and his hard work paid off when one of his many crosses found Scott McDonald. On the half hour a long free kick from Walsh left the keeper with no chance to make it 3-0 and shortly after Burnside ran onto another free kick and confidently chipped the keeper.

In a second half that had some bad tempered moments, Rastrick were unlucky not to improve their score, with Mahmoud Awad and Burnside both hitting the bar before Rastrick failed to defend a corner allowing Netherton to pull one back.

The Rastrick B team werer beaten 6-1 by neighbours Brighouse B, conceding five of the goals in the first half with Ben Norman managing to hit the net for Rastrick.

The second half was a far better performance from Rastrick but the damage had already been done and Brighouse scored another to complete the scoring.

The newly Formed Ovenden West Riding Junior girls under 12 team got their West Riding Junior Girls League Division Two season off to a great start with this emphatic 13-3 victory at Ilkley Town (B).

Ovenden raced into an 8-0 half time lead with goals at regular intervals through Felicity Raud (3) Georgina Kay, Elicia MaCadam and Ellie Gladwin (3). Ovenden took their foot off the gas in the second period and allowed Ilkley back into the game. However, Ovenden soon got their momentum back and further goals from Brooke Woodhead, MaCadam,Gladwin and Raud (2) made it a comfortablee victory.

Boothtown juniors under 10s started life in the Calderdale League with an encouraging 2-2 draw with Beacon Rangers.

Boothtown had more of the game early on but it was Beacon who scored first midway through the first half. Good defending from Tyler Denton and Reiss Boothroyd stopped any further Beacon attacks and Boothtown got their reward with a good goal from Ben Fillingham.

Boothtown pushed forward in the second half with wingers Callum Finnegan and Sam Tynan looking dangerous, and they went in front with a deflected goal from a Reiss Boothroyd shot.

Striker Declan Hindle almost grabbed a third after good work from Jacob Dunning on the right while keeper Nathan Ayscough made some terrific saves but could do nothing to stop a shot which deflected off a defender and into the net to bring the scores level just before full time.

AFC Juniors under nines played their first competitive match of the season at home to Beacon Rangers Under 9s and ran out 6-0 winners.

The AFC youngsters were straight out of the blocks and only the frame of the goal and some last ditch defending kept Beacon Rangers in the game. The breakthrough came midway through the first half when a quick throw from Nathan Smyth found William Booth who slotted neatly past the keeper. Just on the stroke of half time AFC were two up thanks to Lewis Blackburn.

The second half started where the first had left off and the third goal came courtesy of Cole Hand which was followed by a quick double from Lewis Blackburn and Thomas Oakley.

Beacon were limited to shots from distance that rarely threatened the AFC goal and with a couple of minutes left Oliver Rutherford ran through from his own half to complete the victory.

Rastrick Rangers under nines came out on top by 5-1 in their derby clash with Elland.

Archie Corcoran set Rangers on their way after three minutes, neatly slotting home from a Regan Pickersgill corner. PIckersgill himself doubled the lead with an excellent long range effort before Elland pulled a goal back.

Rangers restored their two goal advantage moments later with a fantastic individual goal from Pickersgill who beat three defenders before firing into the top corner.

Elland found centre halves Chris Hudson and Tiger Steel in a determined mood while Corcoran completed his hat trick with a quickfire double.

Rangers defended well as a unit after the break with Louis Figg and Seb Fahey providing timely interventions before Pickersgill completed the scoring to cap a fine display.

Rastrick Raiders produced a commanding performance to bank their first points of the season from a 7-1 success over Elland.

Debutant William Gudgeon opened the scoring in the first minute closely followed by Billy Noo,n who doubled the lead moments later.

Ben Currie produced another disciplined performance at the back before Elland reduced the arrears. However, from the resulting kick off, Raiders stormed forward and scored with Gudgeon again providing the finish.

Sheldon Foxcroft forced the Elland keeper into fine double save but moments later had his revenge as he finished off a neat move with a calm finish.

Elland tested the Raiders defence in the second half, forcing Archie Cresswell into a fine reflex save.

Gudgeon completed a debut hat trick on 33 minutes to make it 5-1 before Kai Geddes, who was moved to a more advanced role on the left, netted two well taken goals to complete the scoring.

Rastrick Rockets and Cleckheaton produced a fine game with both teams pushing hard to take all three points but having to settle for a 2-2 draw

Rastrick created a number of early chances with Harvey Mitchell, Harry Buswell and Liam Hudson working well in midfield. Rastrick took the lead on 19 minutes, Georgie Price finishing nicely whilst under pressure.

Cleckheaton turned the score round to 2-1 early in the second period and could have made it 3-1 but for a magnificent save from Harvey Craven.

Rockets pushed for an equaliser with Sachen Pathak and Chris Hudson both going close before Mitchell levelled after neat approach play from Buswell and Price.

Brighouse Junior Terriers under nines were unlucky to suffer a 1-0 defeat by Dewsbury

An end to end game saw both teams giving it their all and Brighouse`s best chance came from a Joshua Heavyside long range strike which was tipped over the bar.

Dewsbury`s goal came when they broke from defence with a passing move which was finished coolly.

Brighouse Tigers under nines won their second game of the new season with a good 10-2 success at Dewsbury Rangers B.

Brighouse started well and were soon two goals up from Jacob Peyton and Josh Lumb and then Lumb added a third to give Brighouse a 3-1 half time lead.

Tigers left Dewsbury with few goalscoring opportunities and when they did both Liam Glakin and Bradley Atkinson snuffed out any chances. Brighouse were superbly marshalled by Peyton who capped a great performance with four goals while Joshua Lumb also netted four times. Further goals came from Ethan Roberts and Michael Cain.

Brighouse Tykes under nines scored in the first minute of their game through Bradley Atkinson against Holmfirth but ended up losing 9-5.

Holmfirth quickly got into their stride with two goals in quick succession before Ethan Wroot scored a wonder goal from distance.

Holmfirth dominated large parts of the game, scoring a further seven goals. Joe Delahunty coolly scored a penalty for the home side while Atkinson rounded off the game with his second of the day.