Rangers edge home in Halifax final

GREETLAND All Rounders under 12s endured Halifax Cup final heartbreak as they suffered a 22-14 defeat at the hands of hosts Brighouse Rangers.

The first half was very keenly contested, with both defences having to work hard due to errors with the ball in hand.

Brighouse were first onto the attack, playing out a full set that was repelled by Greetland including two early tackles from Luke Sadler.

Greetland then used their powerful runners with Jack Froggett and Lyndon Sutcliffe driving play deep into the Brighouse half only for a knock-on to break up the attack.

Mackenzie Bradwell drove well off the back of the scrum in the first half, with one of these almost bringing him a try as he spotted a gap in the defensive line.

Brighouse coped admirably with the pressure and managed to break away only for Ben Sutcliffe to tackle a player into touch and put Greetland back on the attack. This time Greetland were guilty of trying to force their plays too early in the set, leading to more errors and gifting the ball back to Brighouse.

Questions were being asked of Greetland’s right side defence though Callum Pilling and his team mates made tackle after tackle to keep Brighouse at bay with George Standring also putting in a typically industrious tackling effort. When the ball was turned over, Alex Oldroyd made a break, allowing a platform to be set in the Brighouse half. Greetland were awarded a penalty and quick thinking by James Crabtree saw him feed Adam Hussain who crashed over.

Greetland hoped this would spur them on but a favourable bounce from the kick-off allowed Brighouse to retain the ball only for a loose pass to let Greetland off the hook. Unfortunately Greetland’s next set did not see them make enough ground and Brighouse were able to take advantage.

Despite a good tackle from Milo Robinson on the big Brighouse prop, other drives enabled Brighouse to set a good platform and on the last tackle, and the last play of the half, a smart kick to the corner was grounded for a try to take the teams into the half-time break at four points each.

The second half began with Ben Sutcliffe making two crunching tackles, the second of which forced a Brighouse knock-on. From this position Myles Sugden and Oliver Wilson were prominent in making good drives to set up a scoring position. Greetland had an opportunity to make an overlap count and the ball was passed down the line to Joshua Ward who so nearly scored in the corner, only to be denied by superb covering defence from Brighouse.

Greetland were then penalised twice in quick succession and this gave Brighouse the opportunity to change the pattern of the game when their dangerous prop powered through tackles in the middle of the field and then showed pace to score a converted try under the posts.

Greetland’s next attack was marred by another dropped ball and Brighouse started to play the best rugby of the game which resulted in two quick, well taken tries to take the score to 18-4 in their favour.

Greetland knew they had to make an immediate impression and Jack Froggett ran hard to suck in the defence and Lyndon Sutcliffe was next to force his way over, only to be held up. Greetland were then awarded a penalty close to the Brighouse line though failed to take advantage due to a poor pass which resulted in yet another dropped ball.

A mistake from Brighouse gave Greetland a scrum opportunity and this time the advantage was taken as Jack Froggett forced his way over to score a try that was converted by Lyndon Sutcliffe.

Greetland were immediately back on the attack. James Crabtree almost jinked his was over before Ben Sutcliffe was able to push the Brighouse defenders back over the line to score.

This gave Greetland a glimmer of hope, however, another error from Greetland handed the initiative back to Brighouse and they scored a try to seal the game.

HALIFAX High Year 10/11 played their second match of rugby league and battled hard despite suffering a 38-20 defeat.

The opening 15 minutes were tight with little space available for attacking rugby. Calder’s forwards started to take control in the middle and resulted in two quick fire tries just before half time.

The inexperienced Halifax team could have let there heads go down but instead rallied and the outstanding Hamza Akeel beat four defenders and scored Halifax High’s first ever try much to the delight of the large crowd and the players.

After the break Calder continued to dominate, running in three tries in the first 10 minutes. At that point Halifax High looked as if they could crumble but man of the match Zameer Hussain took the game on himself, breaking the line almost every time he touched the ball which resulted in Hamza Akeel powering over to score his and the team’s second try.

Halifax High began to dominate and with Zameer Hussain still impressing, Luke Cutts was able to show lightning fast feet and beat three defenders to score next to the posts.

Halifax’s final try was scored by rapid full back Zain Ahmed following breaks from the hardworking Haseeb Qureshi and Anis Merkakech.

Halifax were right back in the match but Calder High showed great fight to finish the stronger with the last two tries.


West Riding Youth League

Under Eights: Slaithwaite v Huddersfield St Joes; Odsal Sedburgh v Meltham; Ovenden v Wyke; West Bowling C v Dearne Valley; West Bowling B v West Bowling A.

Under 10s: Harehills B v Wyke; Sheffield HH v Harehills A; Slaithwaite v Huddersfield St Joes; Meltham v Underbank; Queensbury v Ovenden.

Under 11s: Guiseley v Farnley; Ovenden v Sheffield HH; Queensbury v Dearne Valley; West Bowling v Brighouse.