Shay double header is on

0
Have your say

THE proposed Carnegie Challenge Cup third round double header at the Shay on March 6 is on after a shock U-turn by the stadium management.

Conference amateurs Siddal had been told their bid to host Championship big guns Widnes ahead of Halifax’s tie with Castleford amateurs Lock Lane was a no-go because of the potential damage to the ground’s playing surface.

Siddal chairman Paul McCormack, who had labelled the refusal “ridiculous”, had already begun preparations to switch the tie to Widnes when he received a call from the Council’s director of communities Robin Tuddenham late yesterday afternoon reversing the earlier decision.

“I was shocked, to be honest,” said McCormack.

“But we’ve got there in the end and I’d like to thank the Council for reconsidering.

“It should be a special day for the local rugby league community.”

Kick off times for both games are expected to be finalised today.

l Fax latest - page 38